Friday, August 12, 2011

Autumn Memories of Mother

My life is so busy with writing these days, as I try to build up my online residual income between my website and three writing sites. Not a day goes by that I do not have some precious memory of my dear mother. I am finding more and more things about myself that show me that she lives in me for sure. My grandmother used to say "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and that is the very truth of it all! The thought of a reunion with my mother and loved ones in heaven becomes more precious every day.




The fall season in my favorite and runs a close race with summer, except summer has more bugs, so fall seems to be perfect to me. Mother always stayed busy and fall was no exception. She did her usual fall cleaning, which was less intense than the spring cleaning, but still thorough. She would clean one room at a time in our suburban ranch home, with my help. I always remember it being a nice sunny, fall day so she could have all the windows open and throw all the rugs out to be shaken later.

Housewife Dusting Window Blinds

As we would clean each room, I distinctly remember her familiar whistling and how it gave me a feeling of contentment. Mother loved music and certain artists like Eddy Arnold, Floyd Kramer, Boots Randolph, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell, Marty Robbins and too many to mention. Saxophone and harmonica were two of her favorite instruments and she would sing along of dance to her favorite stuff. She loved nostalgic songs like barbershop and folk music and one she whistled often was "Red River Valley." To this day when I hear that song, my mind drifts back to mother whistling that song while she cooked, cleaned or played card games with me. She was a very mellow and content woman who made everyone around her feel at home.


Buy This Allposters.com



While we cleaned, mom had a nutritious dinner cooking for supper. I can still smell the aroma of a chicken casserole or big pot of ham and bean soup coming from the kitchen while we cleaned. After the all day cleaning was done, we would hop in the car and go to pick up dad from work as we only had once car. Mom always got up with dad, drove him to work at 6:30 a.m. every day for years and then picked him up every day. Supper was always a sit-down event after everyone washed their hands first. I always had the choice of setting the table or helping get the food ready and then dishes or drying and putting them away. There was no such thing as leaving the table and dishes for later, mom was a neat and tidy housewife.



Other fall memories of mother are so many and so treasured, but these stand out the most today. I will post more of my fall memories with mom as they come to me. Remember to tell your mom that you love her today and cherish each day that you have with her.



No comments: